RE: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2 on debian dom0 2.6.18 x86_64 running Windows XP SP3 : gplpv 0.9.11pre11 not working

Peter,
        OK, first and foremost, I think I forgot to mention this thread in
my last response:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-08/msg00428.html
I bring it up now because I looked over your config again and noticed the
two CD-ROM drives.  It may be that you need to get rid of them as this may
be a new problem with 0.9.11-pre11 (if you really need those images mounted
in Windows, you might be able to use something like Elby Virtual Clone Drive
[http://elby.ch/fun/software/index.html] to mount those images from within
the domU, but I don't know if this can be done automatically [might require
manual remount after each reboot]).
        I haven't even messed with 0.9.11-preX, I am running 0.9.10.  Seeing
as how you had problems with it, my only thought is that if the installer
changed for 0.9.11-pre11 vs 0.9.10, you might revert again and try 0.9.10 to
see if the add new hardware windows disappear on their own given a bit of
time.  I know I've had hanging like that in the past with previous versions,
and it seems like in some cases waiting long enough would make it work
(though not necessarily with the performance the drivers are supposed to
provide) and in others I had to restore (or rebuild) Windows, and try again,
as it used to (and may still) be absolutely crucial that the drivers are
installed on a clean system, but I honestly don't remember all the details
here.  Alternatively, since 0.9.10 caused your system to hang, you might try
the suggestion mentioned here on 0.9.11-pre11 (even though the issue being
resolved appears to be unrelated and has potentially been solved in pre11):
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-08/msg00203.html
        I think the risk with doing that (disabling the xenhide.sys driver)
is that if the system loads the qemu drivers and the gplpv drivers at the
same time you will get massive HD corruption (should not be a big deal with
a snapshot).  However, for the record, I am shooting in the dark on all
counts here (I haven't suggested anything I wouldn't try, but that doesn't
mean I haven't suggested some things others wouldn't recommend trying), so
don't get your hopes up.  Unless removing the 0.9.10 drivers was done via a
method other than reverting to a backup/snapshot (you said removing them via
device manager and it has always taken more steps than that) or the drivers
and their installation methods changed quite a bit between 0.9.10 and
0.9.11-pre11 (assuming you didn't get the same error on 0.9.10), the error
ending in "but can't find the device itself" might ultimately have something
to do with your environment (for instance, perhaps your version of Windows
is different or there is an issue with your version of debian).  I think
James usually spends more time dealing with his drivers and the list on
weekends, so it might be a few days or a couple weeks before you hear much
from him, but unless you luck out somehow, that's probably what it will
take.
        Finally, as an aside, regarding your thread on the performance of
the GPLPV drivers, it surprises me that your users haven't complained about
performance with qemu drivers, they must be easy to please.  The difference
is most certainly noticeable and worth the trouble.
        Dustin