Re: [Xen-users] Report to a domU a change on a disk

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Andy Burns" <xen.lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:25:26 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:26:01 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=Y600qyCRpgaJwRpRZ9FpP9Ub32JbkFjdkG12vrC/8Ue/+TBDAiD+jsFzO8h3K+Yytv GJ7GpxcisVAJ+vz88pSqeOAqizXtzCXIY2YD9EljMPCAmxMpPYdmPJpikdaggucXazqq D4qmkhmMZqX6VOEHNnHEa1AmggUsjPBzjfgZU=

2008/9/1 Alain Barthe <ab266061@xxxxxxxxx>:

> 2008/9/1 Angel L. Mateo <amateo@xxxxx>
>>
>>        I have a Xen dom0 (Debian Etch running xen 3.0.3) running different
>> domUs. DomUs' disks are LVM2 volumes. Now I have increased the size of
>> one of these LVM volumes so I have to inform to the corresponding domU
>> that its disk has increased its size (to resize it without unmounting
>> it). How can I do this?
>
> It seems AFAIK that you cannot tell an alive domU that its disk has grown
> without detaching and re attaching this disk. So if the disk supports the
> root filesystem, you can't.

Unfortunately I've never seen a way to do it, it would be a nice feature.

> Also, you can't resize a filesystem without unmounting it
> (http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing_ext3_partitions).

After the kernel is aware of the new disk size, resizing the
filesystem is easy, just use resize2fs with a recent enough distro
(assuming ext2/3)

I prefer not to run LVM2 within the domU, there are already enough
layers (md, LVM) where block alignments can get mismatched causing
split read/writes and dropped performance)