[Xen-users] How to monitor network usage

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Charlie Reddington <charlie.reddington@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:33:27 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:34:09 -0700

So I was poking around through the virt-manager and I saw the option for 'network usage'. I've been trying to figure out a way to make sure I know how much bandwidth my VM's are using in a quick and easy way. Whether I can script out a report or just log on and look real quickly.

So the point of this is what do I need to do to view network usages on my VM's? I don't need the full how to - yet... but just the concept of what is needed so I can view this? My basic assumption is that I need to do my networking differently to get this information.

Also nn this point as well, is there any NICE solution to cap bandwidth of a VM? So lets say I want to limit this VM to 100GB, is there anything built into xen to do this?

OS Info:

CentOS 5 - x86_64
Running Xen from YUM
Using virt-manager over VNC