Re: [Xen-users] how to create /dev/xvda

  • To: "James Corteciano" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Emre Erenoglu" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 23:04:38 +0200
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:05:20 -0700

Hi James,

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 6:01 PM, James Corteciano <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Emre,

Sorry for the late response.

How could I modprobe xen inside the DomU? I knew to do it in dom0 only.

Thanks.
James

To make things clear, the things that I'm mentioning here only applies for fully virtualized HVM guests.

If the modules are compiled in kernel or as modules, you just need to become root and say:

modprobe xenblk
modprobe xennet

That would also trigger some other xen related modules such as the pci and balloon drivers. This will only happen if the modules are there. If your distribution didn't provide these modules, you can either:

- download the unmodified_drivers folder from the xen kernel and try to compile it in your domu
- try to use Xen's own kernels and then compile the unmodified_drivers

This will create the devices in your /dev folder. You can check the output of modprobe by dmesg command.

For further info, you can check out the mail archive and/or google for paravirtual drivers for hvm guests.

Emre