Re: [Xen-users] Allocate more Memory than real

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Artur Baruchi <mail.baruchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer... I asked this, cause Im wondering why the
> balloon driver exists in Xen... Im not able to allocate more memory
> than configured in guest config file and by default the target AND the
> current allocation has the same value, so why I would touch in this
> value if I cannot allocate the memory freed to another domain since
> its denied...
>

> Do you know a situation where the balloon driver is necessary in xen?

you can set maximum and minimum limits for each DomU.  the balloon
driver then lets you shuffle memory around.  of course, at any moment,
the total usage can't exceed the real RAM.

also, usually the Dom0 is ballooned itself.  that way it can use more
RAM when you're not running too many DomUs

--
Javier