Re: [Xen-users] Sharing space on a SAN?

Both.

Degradation is inherent to the concept of shared storage. Either you trust the
fact that you're alone on a disk and use diskcaching or you're not and you need
to use some other mechanism to sync the changes amongst the participants. This
can be via I/O or via the network, so you always have delay and bandwith usage.

So, if you would compare ext3 on san disk to a gfs or clvm volume, you would
get a performance hit. But, would you say, those are things you can't compare
as gfs en clvm does things an ext3 on a san disk can't. True. But do we _need_
those things ? No. In fact, we do _not_want_ the ability to start the same domu
several times on different machines. And by letting the domu use the san disk
as a dedicated disk, it can use its diskcache without taking any other machines
in to account. Even live migration is not a problem, as the memory ( and thus
the disk cache ) just get migrated too ...

I simply do not see the added value of using a clustered filesystem for a domu.
And in that light, any additional overhead is too much. Why make things complex
? Complex setups have complex problems in my experience. We solved the problem
with a very simple script, checking all cluster members to see if a specific
domu was running or not. Does this weigh up to having to learn,administer,tune
en possibly debug a clustered file system ?

Lastly, I really don't see the $/GB argument. A GB cost the same, although its
a bit slower on a clustered filesystem, that's all.

Peter.
Ps: nice line-up of acronyms, btw 8-)

--
Peter Van Biesen
Sysadmin VAPH

tel: +32 (0) 2 225 85 70
fax: +32 (0) 2 225 85 88
e-mail: peter.vanbiesen@xxxxxxx
PGP: http://www.vaph.be/pgpkeys

Opgelet ! De domeinnaam van het Vlaams Agentschap is vanaf heden
vaph.be. Dit betekent dat u uw correspondent kan bereiken via
voornaam.naam@xxxxxxxx Gelieve aub dit aan te passen in uw adresboek.

DISCLAIMER
De personeelsleden van het agentschap doen hun best om in e-mails
betrouwbare informatie te geven.
Toch kan niemand rechten doen gelden op basis van deze inhoud.
Als in de e-mail een stellingname voorkomt, is dat niet noodzakelijk het
standpunt van het agentschap.
Rechtsgeldige beslissingen of officiele standpunten worden alleen per
brief toegestuurd.