Re: [Xen-users] question about disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg1/vol1, sda, w!' ] construct

Hallo!

Thank you for the reply, and yes exactly, i have in mind using such a kind of application which takes responsibility for accessing simultaneously the same device from several places.

I am also interested if on Xen with this w! options is Oracle RAC known to work? I have in mind Oracle 10R2 database version 10.2.0.4.0, 64bit, and intention is to use SLES10 as domU operating system, i believe i am quite free choosing dom0 operating system.

Before i discovered w! option i have used shared storage over iscsi but w! seem to be more straight-forward.

Imre

Sadique Puthen wrote:
Imre Oolberg wrote:
Hallo!

The other day i browsed thru readings about Xen, esp.

http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Adding_Disk%2C_CDROM_and_DVD_Devices_to_a_Running_Xen_domainU_Guest_System#An_Overview_of_xm_block-attach

and encountered an interesting construct about having multiple domU to
have rw access to the same storage simultaneously like that

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg1/vol1,sda,w!' ]

Though xm man page or xm create --help_config does not mention it
neither on Debian Etch (v 3.0) or on Ubuntu Hardy (v 3.2) it seems to
work (i tried it very briefly under Ubuntu Hardy (8.0.4, latest
stable, 64 bit version).

Since i am interesting to try out Oracle RAC configuration it could be
very handy to use Xen for that purpose. If anybody could give a
comment or share experience about the status of that paticular 'w!'
option, it would be very good! I.e. is it suitable also for production
use etc.

It's suitable provided you use a clustered filesystem.

--Sadique

Thanks and best regards,

Imre