RE: [Xen-users] problem with GPLPV drivers > 0.9 in Win XP HVM

  • To: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <buzzdee@xxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:57:33 +1000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 04:58:48 -0700

> Hi,
>
> today I tried to install the GPLPV drivers in a freshly installed XP
SP1a
> HVM machine, without luck, I tried these versions:
> first, 0.9.11-pre17 and then 0.9.11-pre9, both with the same result:
>
> In the hardware list, I saw the Xen PCI PV Driver marked with a yellow
> exclamation mark, and when I clicked on it, I read:
> Windows is unable to use the driver, it may be corrupped or missing
(Code
> 39)
> Additionally, under Other devices an Unknown device showed up, marked
with
> a yellow question mark
>
> These were the only drivers > 0.9 I tested, but I guess, the others
also
> will have the same problem.

Okay I've found something that is probably the culprit. In recent
versions of GPLPV I make a call to a function called
'KeFlushQueuedDpcs', which ensures that there is no pending outstanding
work to be done by anything when the drivers shutdown or suspend.

My options are as follows:
1. Do nothing and state that GPLPV is only supported under SP2 or
greater for XP
2. Remove the call to 'KeFlushQueuedDpcs' (I don't call it under W2K,
but nobody that I'm aware of has successfully run the drivers under W2K
anyway). This may or may not create instabilities in suspend/resume.
3. Try and find another way around the problem.

Do you have any reason why you need to use SP1 of XP specifically? SP1
broke a whole load of things... I think SP1a fixed a couple but IIRC a
lot of other things remained pretty broken until SP2 came out.

James