RE: [Xen-users] problem with GPLPV drivers > 0.9 in Win XP HVM

  • To: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <buzzdee@xxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:35:00 +1000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 04:35:42 -0700

> But there I observed the following in the hardware list:
> The drive was renamed from "QEMU disk" to "Xen PV VBD SCSI Disk
Drive",
> but the driver still was the Microsoft driver from year 2001, version:
> 5.1.2535.0.
> The other Xen devices, Network card, PCI, Stub and EMU devices, are
using
> the Xen 0.8.9 driver.
> Is that right that for the harddisk, the Microsoft driver is used?
> I was also expecting a Xen driver there.

GPLPV provides a driver for vbd, which is implemented as a windows
scsiport miniport driver. Windows queries every scsi address on the
scsiport driver, and xenvbd tells it that there is a single disk there.
Windows then provides a driver for the disk that it finds.

I hope that makes some sense :)

James