Re: [Xen-users] Can't see changes in LV Size inside domU (after lvextend on dom0)

Bruno Bertechini wrote:

> Hi guys,
>

> Iâve seen this post regarding âlvm resizeâ and this contains all the
> information I need to resize a disk inside domU :
>

> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-11/msg00019.html
>

> From this post:
>

> âWith this I can extend the LVs in the Dom0, and either shutdown the DomU and
> resize2fs from Dom0 or even (tested on test VMs and low-use production ones)
> resize online within the DomU. Works fine and I still get the manageability
> of LVM within my DomU's without actually using LVM within them.â
>
> ---------
>
> I have the same situation from this post, which I think is the Best
> approach for manageability of disk space on Xen domains.
>

> I have a VG called vm_guests and 03 LVâs on it: lv_guest1_root,
> lv_guest1_swap, lv_guest1_export.
>

> I have them mapped on my xen config file:
>

> disk=[ 'phy:/dev/vm_guests/lv_guest1_root,xvda2,w',
>
>        'phy:/dev/vm_guests/lv_guest1_swap,xvda1,w',
>
>        'phy:/dev/vm_guests/lv_guest1_export,xvda3,w' ]
>

> This works fine for me.
>

> The problem here is:
>

> On dom0 if I use lvextend to resize lv_guest1_export for example, I
> canât see the changes on my domU . I donât know why. If I understand
> it clearly (based on xen documentation and also on the post linked in
> the beginning of this email), these kind of changes should reflect
> automatically on domU instances.
>

> Ã Steps completed: lvextend âL +10G /dev/vm_guests/lv_guest1_export
>

> If I try to resize my partition inside domU (guest1) â with reiserfs I
> got :
>

> ----- WITHOUT REBOOT ------
>
> guest1:~ # resize_reiserfs /dev/xvda3
>
> resize_reiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)
>

> /dev/xvda3 already is of the needed size. Nothing to be done
>

> --- AFTER REBOOT ---
>

> guest1:~ # resize_reiserfs /dev/xvda3
>
> resize_reiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)
>

> resize_reiserfs: On-line resizing finished successfully.
>

> Is that possible to make the new space available to domU WITHOUT
> REBOOT the guest ?

No, check out
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-09/msg00159.html
It's in the todo list for developers. Once upon a time there was a "xm
block-reconfigure" which is broken and is not working anymore with
current version.

--Sadique