Re: [Xen-users] Xen vs VirtualBox

  • To: "CheeYang Chau" <cychau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:47:48 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:48:58 -0700

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:30 AM, CheeYang Chau <cychau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know has any ideas about Xen vs VirtualBox?

--
Best regards,
Chau Chee Yang

I use both on commercial consulting contracts and they're both different. If it's headless and I need speed and power I'll choose Xen. If I'm in a hurry or I need GUI support I'll choose VirtualBox. It's interesting to note that Xen is a major pain to set up if you have no idea what you're doing. VirtualBox on the other hand is very intuitive and you probably will never read the manual until you run into issues like the USB Any Filter not working or you need to do something special with VMs automatically booting up etc...

I think if some enterprising person/company wrote a gui like VirtualBoxes for Xen then I'd probably use Xen a lot more.

--
Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.