Re: [Xen-users] Xen vs VirtualBox

  • To: "Thorolf Godawa" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:38:19 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:38:55 -0700

I think if some enterprising person/company wrote a gui like VirtualBoxes for Xen then I'd probably use Xen a lot more.

--
Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.

There's a nice web based interface to manage XEN VPs's,  called HyperVM.

The quick answer: XEN is more intended for virtual servers, especially where you only have SSH / remote access, whereas VirtualBox is more intended for personal / desktop use - nice to try out windows on Linux, or MAC on linux, etc

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Looks interesting but I'm not sure it's the same type of thing. I've played with all the guis for Xen I could but none of them were really that intuitive. I think that Xen is an excellent product even if it's future on RHEL looks a little bleak, although they've committed to keeping supporting it until 2014. I don't use KVM for anything right now but it seems at the frantic pace that the KVM guys are hacking away there won't be any advantage to Xen in about a year. I don't know the long term plan for VirtualBox either as Sun has more than one VM solution, one of the others is based on Xen. I think at some point the VM software you choose will be irrelivent.

I'm working on a white paper with extensive testing of all VMs for performance in a myriad of configurations. VirtualBox and Xen will both be hammered on pretty hard.