Re: [Xen-users] Networking with xen

"Quezada, Pedro" <PedroQ@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> http://www.vmware.com/pdf/hypervisor_performance.pdf

As others have pointed out, this is likely vmware with optimized guest vmware
drivers for network vs. xen in HVM mode without optimized network drivers.

Full virtualization without optimized drivers is slow in general.  See,
in that case the host system is emulating a scsi card, or a network card
for the guest.  From what I've seen, vmware does have an edge in this area,
however, it's still so much slower than native that it is really only
useful for testing.  If you want reasonable performance, you really need
optomized drivers in the guest.

Personally, I only run paravirtualized guests in production;  paravirtualized
guests under xen have very little network or disk overhead.