RE: [Xen-users] new on xen.

  • To: "Mauro" <mrsanna1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:54:51 -0000
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 01:58:53 -0800

Hi Mauro,

My experience with VMs and raid configs is the best array type varies depending on the VMs use, just as it does with normal physical servers.

Web and Db the two uses you mention are typically more reliant on random read and write performance rather than sequential read or write performance. In your setup if two VMs start to come under typical heavy disk load for Web and DB servers then it is likely two raid 1 arrays (1 for each VM) will perform better than a single Raid 10 or Raid 5.

I’d be interested to hear what others think.

Rob