AW: RES: [Xen-users] Shared volume: Software-ISCSI or GFS or OCFS2?

  • To: "Bruno Bertechini" <bruno.bertechini@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Rustedt, Florian" <Florian.Rustedt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:33:53 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 04:34:38 -0800

 ...my experience with LVM-snapshoting a live-system is, that it freezes with
XFS-filesystem.

While the snapshot is running, the disk is "frozen" for some moments and XFS is
"intelligent" enough to recognize this and throws an error with the result,
that the filesystem is shut down. This is normally a good behaviour to prevent
a system to be corrupted when the disk fails. In this case it prevents
snapshots from live-systems ;)

This is known on the mailling-lists, btu no near solution in sight.

I don't know, if other filesystems are better for this - better means more
stupid ;) - but i wouldn't rely on it.

In the moment I am thinking of using
DRBD -> LVM -> (OCFS2 mounted directly) or (XFS distributed via NFS) for our
solution, because i want to mount some disks multiple times.

As far as i understood now(please correct me), there are two principles to do
this:

1. file based, distributing file-based disks with some technology
2. blockdevice based, distributing blockdevices with some technology

In any case, you must decide how you want the three storages to be combined
before you can start.
In case 2, your result could be a single blockdevice on which you could use lvm
for easy partitioning.
In that case, you could mount the lv's directly with any filesystem on them, as
long as you don't want to share or snapshot them. Perhaps the commercial DRBD+
(linbit.com) is interesting for this with three storages.

Regards, Florian