Re: [Xen-users] dtc-xen [was: Firewalling Xen?]

  • From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:39:01 +0800
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:39:44 -0800

> http://git.gplhost.com/gitweb/?p=dtc-xen.git;a=blob;f=debian/dtc-xen.init;h=5e4df2e46e3a872a2d73ada77e24e8bb242f8b6b;hb=a75a32b23d6dde71dc684045b3c2e7051c30e6fa
>
>     I'd be happy to have contributions in this small script that is by the
>     way very simple to extend (just add few functions for yourself and
>     share, then anybody can enable/disable them with ease.
>
>     Thomas
>

> Don't you mean this ;-)
>
> http://git.gplhost.com/gitweb/?p=dtc-xen.git;a=blob;f=debian/dtc-xen-firewall.init;h=16139921d6efd6fc2e407f7d80b11fae97befdf9;hb=a75a32b23d6dde71dc684045b3c2e7051c30e6fa

Yes, sorry for the confusion!!! :)

> A bit off topic but can dtc-xen control it's users in a way that you can
> assign an admin per VM? What I'm looking for is to have each student manage
> his and only his domU.

Well, it's a full commercial hosting solution, we have hundreds of
customers using it, so of course it supports what you are asking for,
and it's a fully automated solution.

That's the goal yes! Each "virtual admin" user can:
- set the RDNS
- do xm stop / xm start / xm shutdown / on his VPS (and his VPS only)
- do fsck.ext3 -f -y for his partition (if his VPS is shutdown)
- reinstall his OS (if his VPS is shutdown), many OS supported either
through network setup (yum install or debootstrap) or using images.
- see his network, I/O and CPU usage in realtime
- see the above, and all the other VPSes on the node (very useful if one
customer is abusing and the others want to know)
- Do "xm console" by simply doing ssh xenXX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (so this
ssh pass can be changed using DTC, or a ssh key can be used to...)
- Set the CD to boot on, and manage the VNC console (HVM guests only)
- Select to use the NetBSD or NetBSD-INSTALL kernel (NetBSD guests only)
- renew his VPS for the period(s) defined in the hosting package

Each admin can have one or more VPS.

Note that dtc-xen is NOT an interface, just a SOAP service over HTTPS
with auth, on which DTC connects to give orders to or to collect data
from your dom0.

Thomas