Re: [Xen-users] pciback/front in Fedora 10 domU: should this work?

Todd,

Is pcifront perhaps disabled in the stock Fedora 10 kernel?  What can I
check to get more information?

Compare the kernel configs for the Fedora and Centos domUs

A little investigation shows that the CentOS 2.6.18 kernel RPM has a separate patch that adds Xen capability, as well as a config option CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND.

The Fedora 2.6.27 kernel, however, is the new paravirt_ops kernel that doesn't need a separate Xen patch (if I understand correctly). However, the Xen-related config options in this kernel are much more limited, and there is nothing about passing PCI devices.

Back to the original goal, is anyone aware of a quick way to get a domU up
and running with a >=2.6.25 kernel (with the new wireless architecture) that
has pcifront functionality?

Have you tried enabling the Xen options, in a kernel.org kernel?
You can base your config on the fedora10 domU's kernel even.

I haven't tried this yet, and may do so for a proof-of-concept. However, I forgot to state another condition, the final solution needs to be in RPM form.

One more relevant fact: the latest Xen-ified kernel source on xen.org is a 2.6.18 kernel.

What this is all starting to look like is, the last Xen kernel that supported pcifront was the last one with the separate Xen patch, that is, 2.6.18. Xen-capable kernels after this seem to be the new pvops kernels which don't have pcifront capability. Since the new wireless architecture was only released in more recent kernels, it looks like I won't be able to achieve this goal. Does this sound right? I'd be very happy if anyone would show me I'm wrong. ;)

Thanks-

        John

By the way,

> [...]
Or if the guest is supposed to be seeing it, does it have the driver support?
It would need the driver for the device as well as PCI support.

The guest shouldn't need a driver for the device to be listed on the PCI bus using 'lspci'.