Re: [Xen-users] pciback/front in Fedora 10 domU: should this work?

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:25:39PM +0800, John Morris wrote:
> Todd,
>
> >>Is pcifront perhaps disabled in the stock Fedora 10 kernel?  What can I
> >>check to get more information?
> >>

> >Compare the kernel configs for the Fedora and Centos domUs
>
> A little investigation shows that the CentOS 2.6.18 kernel RPM has a
> separate patch that adds Xen capability, as well as a config option
> CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND.
>
> The Fedora 2.6.27 kernel, however, is the new paravirt_ops kernel that
> doesn't need a separate Xen patch (if I understand correctly).  However,
> the Xen-related config options in this kernel are much more limited, and
> there is nothing about passing PCI devices.
>
> >>Back to the original goal, is anyone aware of a quick way to get a domU up
> >>and running with a >=2.6.25 kernel (with the new wireless architecture)
> >>that
> >>has pcifront functionality?
> >>

> >Have you tried enabling the Xen options, in a kernel.org kernel?
> >You can base your config on the fedora10 domU's kernel even.
>
> I haven't tried this yet, and may do so for a proof-of-concept.
> However, I forgot to state another condition, the final solution needs
> to be in RPM form.
>
> One more relevant fact:  the latest Xen-ified kernel source on xen.org
> is a 2.6.18 kernel.
>
> What this is all starting to look like is, the last Xen kernel that
> supported pcifront was the last one with the separate Xen patch, that
> is, 2.6.18.  Xen-capable kernels after this seem to be the new pvops
> kernels which don't have pcifront capability.  Since the new wireless
> architecture was only released in more recent kernels, it looks like I
> won't be able to achieve this goal.  Does this sound right?  I'd be very
> happy if anyone would show me I'm wrong.  ;)

pv_ops Xen support in upstream/vanilla Linux kernels is a work in progress..
currently dom0 support is being worked on and it should be included in
upcoming Linux 2.6.29.

See: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

There's also a temporary 'stop-gap' Linux 2.6.27 based tree, with the
Xenlinux patches from Novell/SLES (forward-ported from Xensource Xenlinux
2.6.18).

http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6.27-xen.hg

That temporary 2.6.27 tree should have 'all' the features..

http://www.nabble.com/Linux-2.6.27-temporary-tree-on-xenbits-td20620606.html

-- Pasi