Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV network performance

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:26:47 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:28:18 -0800

Hi James,

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> James Harper wrote:
>
>>> Is it safe to assume that, for now, Standard PC HAL will
>>> give better network performance compared to ACPI HAL when used with
>>> GPLPV?
>>>

>> That is a good question, but I don't know the answer. I get great
>> performance (>2Gbits/second) on my system without much effort at all,

By "without much effort" you mean not having to change any network
offload settings, right?

>> even with SMP. My system is AMD though... maybe there is some difference
>> there?
>>

> I'm using Intel on RHEL 5.2, bundled Xen. Maybe that's what causing it.
>

>> With 1 cpu and ACPI, what was your performance like? (eg was it SMP
>> slowing you down or ACPI?)

I tested again using:
- Xeon X5450 @3GHz (same machine as earlier test), W2k3, single CPU,
ACPI -> iperf = 1.4 Gbps
- Opteron 2220 SE @2.8 GHz, W2k3, single CPU, ACPI -> iperf = 1 Gbps

So it seems that AMD or Intel doesn't matter much, and neither does ACPI
vs standard PC. The only thing that makes HUGE difference is SMP. Is
this a known issue?

Regards,

Fajar