RE: [Xen-users] Question on Starting Centos52 DomU

  • To: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:48:20 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 06:49:04 -0700

Fajar:

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 as my Dom0. Xen 3.3.1 using the latest source code
from the Xen.org download page. I realize that Ubuntu is a bit trickier than
other Dom0 packages so I choose it on purpose. I was able to run Fedora last
year and easily bring up DomU with the simple UI, etc so this time, I want to
learn the hard way and do things by hand.

I will look at initrd. Thanks.

Stephen

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:14 AM, Stephen Spector
<stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a Domain0 up and running with no issues and can start a DomU setup
> for ttylinux with no problems. However, I took a Jailtime.org image for
> Centos5.2 and tried to run it as a DomainU and am able to see everything
> start and then I get "Freeing unused kernal memory: 196k freed; Restarting
> System". After that I am returned to the terminal prompt.

Probably incorrect initrd.

What dom0 are you using?
For beginners, it's a lot easier to use "native" methods. If it's
Centos or opensolaris dom0 the easiest thing is to install domU with
virt-install. IMHO jailtime.org images are for "expert" use :)

Regards,

Fajar