Re: [Xen-users] Xen system hang or freeze

  • To: Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:15:54 +0100
  • Cc: thomas morgan <tm@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:16:38 -0700

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 12:03:10AM -0600, thomas morgan wrote:
>> As often as I managed to get it to crash, I occasionally saw the error
>> messages on the serial console. It depended on if I was connected to the
>> console and if I was watching. Even then, I only saw them sometimes.
> I haven't seen any errors on the domU or dom0 console since updating
> to the latest etch xen kernel. But I still seem to be getting the
> lockups every couple weeks.
>
> I don't have any USB devices attached.
>> Also, in case it helps others track anything, the kernel oops: soft IRQ
>> lockups were on some Dell 1950 III's. The USB issue was on some HP DL380
>
> This is on a Supermicro H8DM8-2
> With 2x Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2350
>
> --
> Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> http://www.cmdln.org

I used to get the same lockups with any kernel on my supermicro
x7dwa-n, I changed the graphics card from a 9600GT with 256mb to a
8600GT with 512, I've not had a lockup since.

The lockups described in this thead sound very similar, I also used to
get softlockup messages, and a couple of times the system locked dead
for several minutes and then was suddenly responsive again.

I doubt you have nvidia cards in your servers, but I thought I might
as well as some info to this thread.

Andy