Re: [Xen-users] NIC Offloading Confusion

  • To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 06:40:29 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:41:22 -0700

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Jorge Armando Medina
<jmedina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Vie 24 Abr 2009 09:26:37 Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> Is there a particular reason to use HVM?
>> Unless you're using some propietary binary-only kernel module, you'll
>> have much better results using PV guests. Converting HVM to PV guest
>> is pretty straightforward. I can share the steps if you're interested.
>
> I'm interested in the steps to convert a HVM to PV guest.
>
> Thanks

First of all, since apparently a fresh-install of centos HVM domU
loads PV drivers but does NOT actually use them, you should read this
first :

Part 1. Creating a Centos HVM domU with working PV drivers :
http://pastebin.com/fb6fe631

Then you can read

Part 2, converting HVM guest to PV guest : http://pastebin.com/f6a5022bf

If you follow both parts correctly you should have a working PV domU.
If anything goes wrong during conversion process, you should still be
able to boot the previous HVM domU config if you select the non-xen
kernel (second entry) from grub menu.list.

Regards,

Fajar