[Xen-users] Is Xen a way to go for me?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Torben Schou Jensen" <tsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 17:02:16 +0200 (CEST)
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 06 May 2009 08:06:05 -0700

Hi
My current desktop at home is a DELL DIMENSION 8100, got it in 2001, still
a good machine but makes little to much noise and sometimes a little slow
due to only 768MB ram.
It's setup for dual boot with WinXP and Debian.
http://swampthing.dk/~tsj/hardware/#nDELL_DIMENSION_8100

So for some time I have been thinking of a change to new hardware,
and it would be great by Virtualisation to have WinXP and Debian running
at same time.

I currently have a good look on a barebone like Shuttle XPC SG31G5,
a lot of ram and a VT enabled Intel processor.

But now the point that keep me back.

Only Dom0 have direct access to graphics card, so a way could be to setup
Debian with full X on Dom0 and use this to VPN / rdesktop into the
different DomU, one with WinXP and one with Debian as I have now.
As Internet traffic primary will be from DomU and out I see no risks for
Dom0, other than from time to time OS on Dom0 might need to download
updates.
Any bad things about using Xen this way???

I know it will not be possible to use heavy graphics on a DomU WinXP, but
how about support for USB devices, soundcard etc???
Will it be possible within DomU WinXP to enjoy a DVD movie including sound???

Brgds
Torben