Re: [Xen-users] Xen Performance

Luke,

Apologies for my first incomplete reply.

Here's more context. The VMs weren't page scanning. They did show non- trivial %steal (where non-trivial is > 1%) These VMs are commercially hosted on five quad core hosts with approx 14 VMs per host and just under 1GB RAM per VM. Thats not a lot of memory, but then the workload of one nginx and three mongrels per VM is comfortably under 512MB of RSS.

I have heard numerous mentions of similar behavior from users of other utility platforms . There is a recent (Feb 2009) report by IBM that also describes this behavior once #domU exceeds six.

My point, however, is that Xen performance is not well understood in general, and there are situations where virtualization doesnt perform well.

Peter