[Xen-users] Cant find cdrom in the virtual machine during installation

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Peter Mellon <knascent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:16:52 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 07:17:37 -0700

Hello all,
I am trying to run a few Fedora 7 guests on a Fedora 7 host but I am running into a problem. I successfully installed xen from the Fedora 7 cd (xen v3.1) and tried to use virt-manager to setup the guest OS. I am not sure where the config files are stored so I will just say what I entered in virt-manager:
Virtualization method: paravirtualized
Installation media: /dev/cdrom
Storage space: simple file (/home/xen/storage). 10,000 MB
Network: virtual network (default)
Memory: startup: 256 mb, max: 512 mb
VCPUs: 4

Once I entered all of that, it began to boot from the CD and successfully brought up the anaconda installer a few minutes later. I picked language and keyboard type, and then it asked me for 'what type of media contains the packages to be installed?' within anaconda. I selected 'Local CDROM', but got the following error:

"Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver disk?"

And the options were "Select driver", "Use a driver disk", and "Back"

I went back a screen and selected 'Hard Drive' instead and got the following error:

"You don't seem to have any hard drivers on your system! Would you like to configure additional devices?'

I am not sure how to fix this, as xen successfuly detected the cdrom (given that it was able to boot from it) but the guest is not able to do so.

(Also, the server I am attempting all of this on is not allowed to be connected to the internet, so I'm stuck with installing things from the Fedora 7 cd or from copying downloaded rpms over on a usb stick.)

Thanks for the help.