Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu 8.04 DomU crash

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:36:22 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:37:02 -0700

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
<xenon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro wrote:
>> The easy/fast way that I know to stabilize Ubuntu under Xen is:
>> echo "deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian lenny main" >>
>> /etc/apt/sources.list
>> aptitude update
>> aptitude install linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-686
>>  And configure the Debian Linux kernel within your domU...
>>  OpenSUSE kernel its great too, but it isn't a debianified package.
>
> I just wanted to follow up and document what I ended up doing, for anyone
> else who runs
> into it.
>
> I tried the suggestion above, but I became worried when it wanted to update
> libc and
> warned about a bunch of other packages it thought should be updated but
> wasn't going to
> update.

Lenny's kernel fit nicely on Ubuntu 9.04.
For older ubuntu version, Etch's kernel might be a better choice for
seamless upgrade.

>  As far as why I'm not using pygrub or pvgrub to launch the DomU, I had heard
> (perhaps
> erroneously) from other users that this was a security risk -- that storing
> the kernel
> where it is potentially writable from within the DomU was a bit of a
> violation of the
> virtualization principle, since it is code that the Dom0 sort of runs. I know
> some Xen VPS
> ISPs won't allow you to supply your own kernel for security reasons. This
> could be a whole
> different discussion if anyone wanted to reflect on it.

Fair enough,
IMHO It's a mix between security and easy of use. In my case since I
control all domUs running on my server, I can trust pygrub enough to
use it.

>  Anyway, thanks to all for the assistance, and I hope this info helps others.
> I wish
> Ubuntu 8.04 had a Xen-stable kernel right out of the box, as it would save a
> lot of
> trouble. Actually, first-class Xen support from later Ubuntu releases would
> be even better.

Same wish here. Not holding my breath though.
Support (including for Xen) is the primary reason I use RHEL5.

--
Fajar