RE: [Xen-users] Making system templates

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:16:13 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:17:05 -0700

The maintenance cycle is frequent and requires a very small amount of work to
maintain (it's probably entirely automatable); and in exchange, I gain the
ability to state that we independently test upstream patches before applying
them.

Now, whether this is technically necessary is a point I'll happily concede.
Debian-Stable is so named because only very well tested, stable changes are
committed to it.

However, I manage OS's other than Debian (CentOS, Gentoo, Windows, etc), and it
seems logical to apply the same general process to every OS - as they are not
all so well tested before patches are released - than to have an exception for
Debian based solely on the fact that you and I have never had a problem
patching Debian.

Plus, having a local repository is very nice.

Best Regards
Nathan Eisenberg
Sr. Systems Administrator
Atlas Networks, LLC