RE: AW: [Xen-users] Best way to use iSCSI in domU

  • To: "Simon Hobson" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:43:45 -0400
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:47:24 -0700

We had a similar experience, however with AoE rather than iSCSI.  The
xennet drivers were fast when benchmarked on a single DomU.  We hadn't
anticipated the slowdown when many DomU's were hitting xennet for block
storage, cluster multicast and plain HTTP traffic all at once.

Exporting block devices from DomU instead was much more successful.  The
performance bottleneck seemed to vanish, we could tune the network as we
see fit (e.g. multipath / jumbo frames, good for storage), and the phy:
backend allows for asynchronous writes (although the latter prevented us
from doing this on shared GFS filesystems).

This was on CentOS 5.2, in case anyone is wondering.

-Jeff