RE: [Xen-users] streaming server on a virtual machine.

  • To: "Mauro" <mrsanna1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:27:33 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 06:28:48 -0700

I've pushed xennet close to wire speeds from a domU.  The paravirt drivers do
not seem to present much of a bottleneck.

I'd encourage anyone asking similar questions to try it for themselves... I
did, and learned a lot about Xen by pushing it to its limits.

One thing to note however.  Xen's network layer may not cope well with a
substantial number (10-20) of virtual hosts performing high rates of concurrent
network I/O.  I do not know if this is a limitation of the net back driver,
Linux bridging or something else...I spotted it early on when I had each domU
mounting filesystems from a networked SAN.  Switching the SAN traffic over to
dom0 and exporting block devices to each domU made a world of difference, and
allowed us to use CLVM to easily manage the storage as well.