Re: [Xen-users] streaming server on a virtual machine.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Mauro <mrsanna1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/9/26 Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> I will also add that if Xen has a bottleneck it's traffic between DomUs.
>> Don't configure it in any way to have
>> one DomU servicing another DomU unless both have real  network cards
>> attached to them.

> Thank you for your answer it was very exhaustive.
> I've learned a new thing, that is the poor performance in traffic
> between domU in the same machine rather than domU in different
> machines.
> I've a domU with tomcat and many jruby applications and, in the same
> machine, another domU as database server with postgres.
> Based on what you say I've to reconfigure my systems to have domU in
> different machines.

Were you having network performance problems?
There was a thread on this list some time ago about domU <-> domU
network performance, and the ones that experience it were using newer
pv_ops kernels while people who use 2.6.18 kernel (like RHEL/Centos5)
or Suse -xen kernel got good performance.

http://www.nabble.com/Fw%3A-Re%3A-bridge-throughput-problem-tt25328188.html#a25351569

Instead of having a second physical server just to get decent
performance, I'd say it's easier to simply change your dom0 kernel.

--
Fajar