Re: [Xen-users] Xen Performance

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:17:03 -0700
  • Cc: "Igor S. Pelykh" <kesha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:18:03 -0700

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Igor S. Pelykh <kesha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello xen-users,
>
> How can I to increase performance of network layer?
> And what is better (easy) for topology of DomU network (bridge, route,
> NAT )?

IMHO for network setup it's easier to use bridge. That you manage your
dom0 (network-wise) the same way you manage your L2 or L3 switch. When
you need NAT, you can use bridge + NAT (which is what libvirt does
with virbr0).

Performance-wise, I didn't have to do any tweaking with RHEL5. domU
can easily saturate uplink, with domU <-> domU throughput in the range
of 2-3 Gbps. Some people have reported problems (search the list
archive) with recent pv_ops dom0 kernel.

--
Fajar

Fajar,
ÂÂ Are you sure about your DomU to DomU speeds? What methodology did you use to test this?
I've done extensive testing in this area and I've never seen any numbers that can come near that with or without
a pv_ops kernel.

Grant McWilliams