Re: [Xen-users] Xen Performance

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Grant McWilliams
<grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Igor S. Pelykh <kesha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> > How can I to increase performance of network layer?

>> Performance-wise, I didn't have to do any tweaking with RHEL5. domU
>> can easily saturate uplink, with domU <-> domU throughput in the range
>> of 2-3 Gbps. Some people have reported problems (search the list
>> archive) with recent pv_ops dom0 kernel.

> Fajar,
>    Are you sure about your DomU to DomU speeds? What methodology did you use
> to test this?
> I've done extensive testing in this area and I've never seen any numbers
> that can come near that with or without
> a pv_ops kernel.

I remembered seeing that much throughput on one of my tests, but I
forgot which one. I'll look into it later.

Here's a recent test from a system that I have access to right now.
domU <-> domU performance tested with iperf. Using Xen 3.4.1, dom0
2.6.18-164.el5xen, domU using self-compiled 2.6.29.6-xen Suse kernel.
IP address hidden (changed to hostnames)

# iperf -c domU1 -r
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
Client connecting to domU1, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
[  5] local domU2 port 14092 connected with domU1 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  2.00 GBytes  1.72 Gbits/sec
[  4] local domU2 port 5001 connected with domU1 port 1753
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.57 GBytes  1.35 Gbits/sec

This is on a 2.4GHz Opteron 2378. Since domU <-> domU transfer are
mostly CPU-bound, faster CPUs should yield higher performance.

--
Fajar