[Xen-users] problem sharing logical volume across xen domains

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: John Preston <byhisdeeds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:42:49 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:43:34 -0700

I am a newbie to xen and am seeking some assistance in checking if I'm heading down the right path or not.

I have a network (192.168.x.x) that I want to keep closed and private for the most part. I need however to get access to some files generated on the machines in this private network. So I first tried putting two cards in a machine running centos 5.2 and connecting one to the private newtork and the other to the public network. This worked somewhat but I was not able to see this bridging machine in the private network because I could not run 2 samba instances on this machine ( I need one for the public network). So I setup xen on a machine with the 2 NIC's and assigned one card to the host dom and the other to the guest dom which was connected to the private network.

This worked ok, but the only issue was the shared disk space. I couldn't use nfs because each machine operates in a different subnet and I don't know how to export a nfs drive across domains. So I created a logical volume on a disk and mounted this in both domains.

Here comes the question now. This works some times,. but at other times I copy files from the private machine to the shared volume but i can't see them from the other domain. Also sometimes the guest domain which houses the private network server hangs during boot up saying that the logical volume has been assigned and cannot be mounted.

1) Is what I'm doing using logical volumes across domains legal (best practise, etc)
2) Is there another way for me to achieve what I want (sharing a disk partition across domains).

John