Re: [Xen-users] problem sharing logical volume across xen domains

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 10:42 PM, John Preston <byhisdeeds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a network (192.168.x.x) that I want to keep closed and private for
> the most part. I need however to get access to some files generated on the
> machines in this private network. So I first tried putting two cards in a
> machine running centos 5.2 and connecting one to the private newtork and the
> other to the public network. This worked somewhat but I was not able to see
> this bridging machine in the private network because I could not run 2 samba
> instances on this machine ( I need one for the public network).

Really? It worked for me using 1 samba instance and multiple NICs. If
you're having problems with that you might have better luck asking
samba guys.

> So I setup
> xen on a machine with the 2 NIC's and assigned one card to the host dom and
> the other to the guest dom which was connected to the private network.
>
> This worked ok, but the only issue was the shared disk space. I couldn't use
> nfs because each machine operates in a different subnet and I don't know how
> to export a nfs drive across domains.

That's easy enough, as long as NAT is not involved. If NAT is involved
the possible solutions would be :
- use 2 NICs for nfs server, one in private, one in public, OR
- put NFS server on public IP address (assuming your private address
can access public address), OR
- learn how to setup nfs NAT properly (involves assigning static ports
for some RPC services)

> So I created a logical volume on a
> disk and mounted this in both domains.
>
> Here comes the question now. This works some times,. but at other times I
> copy files from the private machine to the shared volume but i can't see
> them from the other domain. Also sometimes the guest domain which houses the
> private network server hangs during boot up saying that the logical volume
> has been assigned and cannot be mounted.

That spells trouble. You're using non-clustered file system (i.e.
ext3, xfs, etc.) right? Most likely your filesystem is corrupted right
now.

> 1) Is what I'm doing using logical volumes across domains legal (best
> practise, etc)
> 2) Is there another way for me to achieve what I want (sharing a disk
> partition across domains).

Depending on what you need, you might have to use cluster file system.
IMHO the easiest way is to setup samba properly.

--
Fajar