Re: [Xen-users] OT - mostly

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 4:01 AM,  <jonr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to use virt-install to install a paravirtual guest using a
> custom OS that I have to use at work. I think the best solution is to
> install it by hand.
>
> I am using LVMs as the disks, do I have this right..

It's mostly a matter of choice, as each have its own consequences, but
if you want maximum performance then LVM is the right way to go.

> I need to download a pv-ops kernel, is there one that is currently
> preferred?

I'm not sure. I've been tinkering with 2.6.30, and got it working with
a certain .config, but when I apply the similar config to 2.6.32-rc4
it refused to boot. YMMV. You can also try Jeremy's git tree. See
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

Personally when I need newer kernels I prefer Suse's forward-ported
xen kernel from http://x17.eu/xen/ or
http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/downloads/list . I need
memory balloon expansion, which is not available yet on pv_ops kernel.

> #Loopback mount the .iso for the os and copy the filesystem into a loopback
> mounted lvm, say, /mnt/domU
> #cp the pv-ops kernel into /mnt/domU/usr/src/
> #chroot into /mnt/domU
> #Configure kernel then, make && make modules_install && make install, it for
> my system.
> #Create an initramfs.

When creating a kernel and initramfs you don't have to do it inside
domU fs. You can do it in /home/user/src/... whatever, copy the
resulting kernel and initrd somewhere (I usually use /etc/xen/kernel),
and create a domU config that uses the kernel/initrd. The installation
source can usually stay in ISO, or (if the installer supports it)
remotely via http or nfs.

--
Fajar