Re: [Xen-users] Questions on qcow, qcow2 versus LVM

On Tue, December 29, 2009 10:04 pm, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> Another way to is to investigate why your earlier setup has problems.
> To eliminate partition problems, you can map the disk to dom0  like
> this:
>
> modprobe xenblk
> xm block-attach 0 phy:/dev/vg_name/lv_name xvda w
> ### do your stuff here. fdisk xvda, mkfs, ta, whatever. Use fdisk
> instead of parted.
> ### don't forget to umount afterwards
> xm block-list 0
> xm block-detach 0 51712 <== 51712 is the devid for xvda
>
> If that works, then it's 100% confirmed the problem is with
> parted/kpartx. Repeat the test, but this time using parted instead of
> fdisk, and you get the idea :D

Thanks, Fajar! Using this method I could create a single partition on the
LV with fdisk, format it as ext3, mount it and untar a vm image on it and
boot the vm with pvgrub as before.  I then xm destroyed the domU and
removed the LV with no problems - result!

After this I set about trying to find which of the previous operations was
holding the LV in the open state, so I started again with a clean lv and
incrementally performed each operation on it and tried to remove it.  The
error occurs after running:

parted /dev/VolGroupVM/testvm mkpartfs primary ext2 0 10240

So, parted is the culprit (or at least the first one to cause the
problem).  Is there perhaps another, scriptable way to create the
partitions on the LV?

Matt.