Re: [Xen-users] How do I get Windows licenses for virtual machines?

Ben Holt wrote:
> Anthony Wright said the following:
>>
>> Next I looked at the various licenses for Windows 7, the first being the
>> OEM license. Unfortunately you can only get an OEM license with new
>> hardware, you can't buy an OEM license for hardware that you've already
>> bought.
>>
> It's been a while since I bought a software license, but the last time
> I did it was for an OEM copy of XP.  I don't know if the loop hole is
> still open, but the only hardware I had to buy was a CD audio cable,
> which I think came to $1 or something silly like that.
>
> - Ben
My understanding of the OEM licensing situation is that while I can get
hold of OEM licenses using the tricks that you describe and the VMs
would pass windows authentication, I wouldn't be adhering to the terms
of the OEM license - using them to license VMs rather that physical
hardware + not buying them with the hardware. This means that the
licenses wouldn't be valid, and so if I ever got audited I would be
found to be in breach of the OEM licenses and therefore my copies of
windows would be unlicensed.

Anthony.