Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 Custom kernels

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:38:00PM -0300, Net Warrior wrote:
>    Hi there guys.
>
>    I'm using CentOS 5.4, I was able to compile my custom Dom0 kernel and boot
>    it, now I've got some doubts.
>
>    I'd like to compile a custom DomU image, the problem is that when I do,
>    make kernels KERNELS="linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU" it tries to download
>    the kernel
>    from the HG repository which seems to have old 2.6.18 kernels, I want to
>    use the GIT repository which is alrealdy downloaded and is the source I
>    used to complile Dom0 using
>    kernel 2.6.33.13.

specifying KERNELS="linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU" will compile
linux-2.6.18-xen,
that's how it should be.

If you don't specify KERNELS= at all, then it'll build linux-2.6.31.x kernel.
Or alternatively you can specify KERNELS="linux-2.6-pvops" to get the same
result.

>    Question:
>    Which files do I have to modify or how do I have to proceed to achieve
>    what I want?

Did you know you can use the *default* (vanilla) kernel.org Linux kernels as
Xen PV domU?
No patches needed for that, the upstream kernels will work for domU.

>    Under /usr/src/xen-4.0.0/buildconfigs I can see some files which define
>    some stuff depending on what I chose but not sure if it's safe to mees
>    with this.
>
>    Thanks for your time and support.

Hopefully that helps.

-- Pasi