[Xen-users] PVM from ISO?

  • To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mark Chaney <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:52:50 -0500
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:54:22 -0700

I work with a lot of projects that provide ISO's for their projects, such as pbxinaflash or mailcleaner, etc. Many times those are the only way to install a project versus using a repo. I hate the idea of having to setup an HVM when a PVM would be fine as the ISO's just contain debian or centos, etc, and would normally paravirtualize just fine. So my question is. How do we easily create paravirtualized guests from ISO's? Every modern *nix distro out there pretty much has pvm drivers, so why is it still a limitation with tools such as virt-install that iso's can only be used with hvm, etc?

Anyway, any tips in general for creating a pvm guest from an iso are extremely appreciated.

Note: I am still only running Xen 3.4.2 and my dom0's OS is Centos 5.5 x86_64.

Thanks,
Mark