Re: [Xen-users] PVM from ISO?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Mark Chaney <lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Every modern *nix distro
> out there pretty much has pvm drivers, so why is it still a limitation with
> tools such as virt-install that iso's can only be used with hvm, etc?

Actually you can install opensolaris PV just fine using ISO. They've
done it right over there.
Linux distros, however, is another story.

> Anyway, any tips in general for creating a pvm guest from an iso are
> extremely appreciated.

It all comes down to whether or not the installer can recognize the
media. Last time I tried, RHEL installer can't recognize the the
content of DVD iso when I try to use it during installation. Perhaps
it's confusing it with hard disk while it's looking for a cdrom drive,
or something like that.

The usual workaround now is to use files from the iso to create a
local http/nfs install server, and point the installer there.

Anyway, IMHO this is more of distro-specific installer issue, so
you'll probably get better response asking distro maintainers.

--
Fajar