Re: [Xen-users] Graphical virtualisation management system

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 11:32 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> Everyone rolling their own management scripts?

I ended up doing this, because I also needed to integrate with running
heartbeat and pacemaker (high availability). The program I wrote has
grown into 3000 lines of Python code, but it handles just about anything
from creating a new VM, adding or removing a VM from pacemaker, keeping
track of the running status of VMs, migration, backup/restore of VMs,
mounting VM images so they can be modified or individual files extracted
without having to boot the VM, also used by a setup script to take care
of all the per-VM-specific setup stuff (network configuration and so
forth). Having this management program really makes things easier,
although it has taken me 6 months to complete it. It's not graphical
either. But it has made it possible to do something like create and
configure a new VM and integrate it into the cluster in less than 5
minutes.

Unfortunately, it has a lot of things in it that are specific to our
local environment and our software choices (Xen, CentOS, heartbeat,
pacemaker, DRBD, etc.) so I don't think I'd recommend that anybody else
try to use it for anything other than a template for rolling your own.

--Greg