Re: [Xen-users] Need help in compiling and installing Xen-3.4.1 on Lucid

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Daniel Mathew <danieljmathew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, Fajar.
>
> I was looking for a patched version of the vanilla kernel

That's the link I gave you. Patches for vanilla kernel. Have you looked at it?
http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/downloads/list contains
patches for corresponding version of vanilla kernel to have old
xenlinux-style kernel that should work with Xen 3.4. Personally I use
2.6.34 as dom0 with Xen 4.0.0, and as domU with Xen 3.3.1.

The kernel can be build separately from xen (i.e. you don't need Xen
source or Makefile to build the kernel). You just need to select the
appropriate kernel options (during "make menuconfig" or whatever) to
enable Xen support (which BTW is different options compared to pv_ops
kernel). See
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-07/msg00452.html

> (or even Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora).
> It would be great if I could even generate a patch
> myself somehow - is this possible using the Xen-3.4.1 source and makefiles?

xen versions can generally be uncoupled from kernel version in Linux
dom0, so usually you don't need to have one-to-one mapping between
kernel version 2.6.x and xen version y. However, newest version of
pv_ops kernel requires some features only present in Xen 4.0.1 (or
some hg revisions after xen 4.0.0), so it might not work for
Xen-3.4.1. AFAIK the kernel source by itself has not been distributed
inside the Xen-3.4.1 source tarball, and only downloaded during xen
build process.

--
Fajar