Re: [Xen-users] help a newbie please

  • To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Tom Fritz <tfritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:32:14 -0500 (CDT)
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:33:41 -0700

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Todd Deshane wrote:

I don't have personal experience with Lenny, perhaps the xen-users list does.

I see Debian does have kernels:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels

Anybody running Xen + Dom0 kernel successfully on Lenny?

I use Lenny as a Dom0 with the "stock" xen kernel but use 3.4.3 hypervisor rather than the one in the repos. I would recommend you run the 64 bit version because it is more stable if your hardware supports it. You can compile and install the hypersior fairly easy. You can use the instrustions from the 4.0 hypersivor to compile the 3.4.3 hypersivor. They can be found at:

http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/Xen4.0?highlight=(xen)|(4.0)

You can download the 3.4.3 code from:

http://www.xen.org/download/index_3.4.3.html

When you do the compile just do:

make xen
make tools
make stubdom

make install-xen
make install-tools
make imstall-stubdom

I would avoid doing a full on make world as this compiles a kernel, hypervisor and tools.

If you install xen using:

apt-get install xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64

Then you will need to run update-grub after you do the install so the new hypervisor is configured correctly in grub.

If you can start with a clean install of Lenny and go from there. I would load just the hypervisor:

apt-get install linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64

And then add the peices you need from there. I would also use the backports for Leeny for more current packages:

http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

Like libvirt-bin, xen-tools.

The only issue I have run into with this is I haven't been able to get the GUI desktop to run with the xen kernel. I don't need this on my servers so it's not an issue for me, maybe someone can give you a pointer to get this running.

Getting a working (stable) Lenny based xen server setup can be a lot of work. I haven't found a linux distro yet that had all the pieces I required included but that is the nature of the beast and is a function of my own needs and not really a limitation of the linux distro's I tried.

Good luck and if you have any questions you can contact me off list and I will try to help time permitting.

Tom.