RE: [Xen-users] Opinion on best way to use network storage

  • To: VPS Lime <vpslime@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:12:12 -0500
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 07:13:16 -0800

We've done 3) by creating a LUN on the SAN for each domU.  Works well, and is nice to use on a SAN that has snapshot support.  Rather than running iscsi (or aoe) in the guest, we open all LUNs on the dom0 and export each to its respective domU via xenblk.

On a SAN with a limited number of LUNs, we also did 2) but with CLVM on the dom0 hosts.  That allowed each dom0 in the cluster to view each logical volume.  Migrations are easy but as noted elsewhere, CLVM has no snapshot support.  Has the advantage that logical volume labels are nice and descriptive.

Disk performance either way is limited by the SAN and network, and can be quite good.  I've successfully virtualized database servers and other hosts with intensive I/O requirements.

-Jeff