Re: [Xen-users] Getting started

On 11/17/2010 12:43 PM, John McDermott (U.S. Navy Employee) wrote:
> John,
>
> My last experience with Xen on OpenSuSE was with 11.1 and it just worked. I
> am not sure what went wrong. Are you able to just re-install everything from
> scratch or is this a production machine?

I could reinstall, but I'd have to coordinate with my wife (it's her
schoolwork machine).
> It is probably better to get networking right, before trying to install a
> guest OS. Also, just for testing and practice, try to install an HVM copy of
> OpenSuSE first, before trying Windows.

I hadn't thought of that.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks.  Install another
copy of opensuse onto one of my blank partitions, then set it up as a
hvm, right?
> Can you access web pages from dom0, e.g. Google?

By "networking", do you mean our home network, or the virtual network I
see described at length in the various resources? Our home network works
fine -- I'm using Thunderbird right now to talk to you, and I have a
dozen xen-related pages open in Firefox right now.

I see repeated references to a "bridge" system for networking the
virtual machines and letting them communicate with one another and with
the Internet.  This is one of the things I understood was created by
default when dom0 came up.