Re: [Xen-users] Which distro to use for Dom0

On 1/12/2011 12:00 PM, Christian Zoffoli wrote:
debian and xen are actually in different planets ...live migration is a
pain and there are many problems in general.

If you whant something stable, updated and so on, suse sles 11 sp1 is
the way.

Here are the main reasons:
- it's based on xen 4.0 + many interesting additions (for example
virtual machines snapshots -->  **not only disk snapshots**)
- it's integrated with the new cluster stack (pacemaker and friends)
- it's integrated with OCFS2 (with many interesting patches in the tree)
- it's integrated with CLVM (on pacemaker&  friends)
- it has pv over hvm drivers for linux and windows (in linux pv over hvm
for 64bit VMs is better performing)
- it has a fully working and certified infiniband stack
- it's more lightweight than redhat (it's possible to make very light
installations comparable in size/occupied resources to debian)
- suse xen kernel is also the starting point of the citrix xenserver
...so it's not something different  / unmaintained etc

 From a performance perspective I suggest you to directly use CLVM for VM
images storage because I've seen poor performances in QCOW2 over OCFS2
setups.

The only big problem I can see in the future of suse is the acquisition
by a microsoft controlled company of novell ...by the way also citrix is
very microsoft dependant ...so the soup is almost the same.

Best regards,
Christian

I was looking into Suse SLES 11 and it is a no go for us. Being a small state agency with no usable budget for IT we cannot afford the $349 subscription for one year. Unless I am missing something there and they have a totally free version.

So it looks like Fedora 14 (or centos 6) is it.