RE: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy

> Hi Mike,
>
> agreed. For situations however where data files that are typically
> opened with user applications like Word, Excel and other, I think it
> might be safe to just snapshot the underlying LVM while the Windows DomU
> is running and the users are not accessing the files (typically at
> night), mount this and copy from it. I'm actually testing this now. If
> there's interest I will post my findings.
>
> B.

The Citrix Windows PV drivers include a VSS provider that (I think) allows you
to ensure that your snapshot is consistent at both a filesystem and application
level. I've thought about this for GPLPV but have never actually done anything
about it.

James