Re: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 04:52:36 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:55:08 -0800

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Mike Sun <msun@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I did some tests on different tools like ntfsclone, partimage and dd through
>> gzip.
>> In combination with LVM Snapshots they produce a backup which should
>> preserve all meta data since these
>> methods are not filebased.
>> One of the disadvantages are, these are not increment backup solutions, so
>> you will have multiple big archive
>> files.
>
> What if you used file-backed sparse images as the VM's virtual disk
> and then used rsync/rdiff-backup on that file itself?  That way, you
> don't have to worry about rsync/rdiff-backup being aware of NTFS
> metadata, but still take advantage of the incremental binary diffs
> that rsync/rdiff-backup provide at the file level.
>
> Is that a feasible solution?

Assuming:
- the image is on LVM and a snapshot is taken when doing backup
- rsync is invoked with -S
- the image is used on Xen using tap:aoi (or preferably the new
tap2:tapdisk:aio)

then it might be feasible.

On the other hand I just found this link:
http://serverfault.com/questions/27397/sync-lvm-snapshots-to-backup-server
The script on that page looks promising, as well as ddsnap.

--
Fajar