Re: [Xen-users] Easier managment interface, XCP or similar?

On 2/16/2011 2:14 PM, Todd Deshane wrote:
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Donny Brooks<dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I am evaluating our current setup and seeing if we can improve it in any
way. Right now we have two servers running Centos 5.5 with xen4.0 via the
gitco repo. Each server has multiple nics that are bonded and have raw vlans
passing over it so I can assign various domu's to various vlans. Each server
is setup to use local storage currently and uses LVM for domu disks. We now
have a Dell MD3200i iscsi SAN that we need to throw in the mix along with 2
more servers. As it stands we only have one "production" xen server and one
"test" xen server. They share no storage or anything currently. I need
everything we currently have to keep working but need a better management
interface and the ability to have HA domu's.

I have looked around and found a few projects that may work but I think I
have ruled most out:
OpenQRM: way too convoluted to setup and not great documentation
ECP: runs KVM and the "community" version is so limited it is pitiful
Proxmox: also runs KVM and/or OpenVZ containers. While this one is promising
and has a nice GUI with "clustering", it still lacks the HA features I want
and is a pain to get the san to talk on more than one IP range (following
dells recomendation to put the 4 ports of each controller on a separate /24)

I already have my xen dom0's setup properly with the vlan trunks and bond
interfaces. What I need is a way to centrally manage the various machines
with a graphical interface. Reason being is it will be easier to teach my
fellow co-workers how to do that than to have them wrap their head around 4
different machines and all the command line operations to do various tasks.
In the event that something happens to me I need them to be able to
administer the cluster.

We do understand that adding the bonded interfaces and vlans with the SAN
will complicate things, but this can't be a bridge that no one else has
crossed before. I would like your input on how to manage this setup
centrally. Also note we must do it for free as we have no spendable IT
budget.

We have a collection of management tools here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenManagementTools

If we are missing anything let us know.

Also, you mention XCP, there are projects around that as well:
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XCP_Projects

Some more information on XCP: http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html

Has anyone had any dealings recently with the cloud frontends as follows: Eucalyptus, OpenNebula, or Nimbus? Reading their sites I see some pros and cons but I would like to hear first hand experience of users if possible. I know I can (and probably will) ask on their lists but I would like an unbiased review hence why I ask here. Two points I would like to hear on is: 1. How well do they handle HA setups with a SAN and such. 2. How do they work with existing setups (remember I have spent months perfecting the bond + vlan trunk etc on our setup).

Thanks in advance.