Re: [Xen-users] Easier managment interface, XCP or similar?

  • To: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:14:52 +0000
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:16:40 -0800

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am evaluating our current setup and seeing if we can improve it in any
> way. Right now we have two servers running Centos 5.5 with xen4.0 via the
> gitco repo. Each server has multiple nics that are bonded and have raw vlans
> passing over it so I can assign various domu's to various vlans. Each server
> is setup to use local storage currently and uses LVM for domu disks. We now
> have a Dell MD3200i iscsi SAN that we need to throw in the mix along with 2
> more servers. As it stands we only have one "production" xen server and one
> "test" xen server. They share no storage or anything currently. I need
> everything we currently have to keep working but need a better management
> interface and the ability to have HA domu's.
>
> I have looked around and found a few projects that may work but I think I
> have ruled most out:
> OpenQRM: way too convoluted to setup and not great documentation
> ECP: runs KVM and the "community" version is so limited it is pitiful
> Proxmox: also runs KVM and/or OpenVZ containers. While this one is promising
> and has a nice GUI with "clustering", it still lacks the HA features I want
> and is a pain to get the san to talk on more than one IP range (following
> dells recomendation to put the 4 ports of each controller on a separate /24)
>
> I already have my xen dom0's setup properly with the vlan trunks and bond
> interfaces. What I need is a way to centrally manage the various machines
> with a graphical interface. Reason being is it will be easier to teach my
> fellow co-workers how to do that than to have them wrap their head around 4
> different machines and all the command line operations to do various tasks.
> In the event that something happens to me I need them to be able to
> administer the cluster.
>
> We do understand that adding the bonded interfaces and vlans with the SAN
> will complicate things, but this can't be a bridge that no one else has
> crossed before. I would like your input on how to manage this setup
> centrally. Also note we must do it for free as we have no spendable IT
> budget.

We have a collection of management tools here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenManagementTools

If we are missing anything let us know.

Also, you mention XCP, there are projects around that as well:
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XCP_Projects

Some more information on XCP: http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html